IMST’s iM880B-L_LoRaWAN module comes with a pre-configured option for KotahiNet’s network. It is priced competitively and performs well. It is therefore a good choice to connect with KotahiNet’s network. To get started, the USB version iU880B is a quick and easy way to get familiar with LoRaWAN and KotahiNet’s network as it can be simply plugged into any computer. Price without quantity discounts is 89 euros (about $150) while the module itself is 18.49 euros (about $31).
Download and install the Studio. This requires free registration. From the folder Gateways and USB Adapter > iU880B-usb > WiMOD_LoRaWAN get the file WiMOD_LoRaWAN_EndNode_Studio_V0_27_0.zip (or later version) as well as WiMOD_LoRaWAN_EndNode_Firmware_V1_14.zip (or later version).
Unzip the Studio file and run. If there’s an error about a missing ftd2xx.dll file, download and unzip the VCP drivers for your computer from FTDI. If the error persists, copy the file ftd2xx.dll from the unzipped folder into the folder where Studio is installed.
Plug in the iU880B and run Studio. It’s likely the firmware is out of date. In Studio, click on File > Firmware Update and follow instructions to flash the firmware. Select the Firmware file downloaded from IMST above to install.
1. Set the Device EUI. To do this, in Extras > Factory Settings click on Set Customer Mode. Enter Device EUI and then Set Device EUI button to save.
2. For ABP join, send Device EUI to KotahiNet who will provide Device Address, Network Session Key, and Application Session Key. Enter these values in Studio and save by clicking Set Join Parameter. For OTAA join, send Application EUI and Application Key to KotahiNet to set up the device or ask KotahiNet to generate these for you.
3. In the Studio’s Configuration tab, select band as 4: NZ 865 MHz. Uncheck Duty Cycle Control. Save by clicking Set Configuration.
4. To do an ABP join, click Activate Device. The left panel should show Network Status as active (ABP). To do an OTAA join, click Set Join Parameter and then Join Network.
5. In Uplink Data Service, set Transmit Period to 120s or higher. Check Send periodically and Send C-Data. Start sending data by clicking the Send C-Data button.